Dale A. Webster Ph.D.
Research Professor of Biology
Distinguished Professor of Biology
B.S. University of Michigan
Ph.D. University of California, Berkeley
Research & Accomplishments
Roles of heme proteins in bacterial respiration and terminal electron transport; biochemistry and molecular biology of bacterial hemoglobin and cytochromes; regulation of bacterial hemoglobin synthesis by oxygen; Na+ transport by respiratory enzymes; use of bacterial hemoglobin in biotechnology and bioremediation.
- Wei, M.-L., WEBSTER, D.A., and Stark, B.C. (1998) "Metabolic engineering of Serratia marcescens with the bacterial hemoglobin gene: alterations in fermentation pathways." Biotechnology and Bioengineering 59: 640-646.
- Dikshit, K.L., Orii, Y., Navani, N., Patel, S., Huang, H.-Y., Stark, B.C., and WEBSTER, D.A. (1998) "Site-directed mutagenesis of bacterial hemoglobin: the role of glutamine (E7) in oxygen-binding in the distal heme pocket." Arch. Biochem. Biophys. 349: 161-166.
- Park, C., Moon, J.-Y., Cokic, P., and WEBSTER, D.A. (1996) "Na+-translocating cytochrome bo from Vitreoscilla: some parameters of its Na+ pumping and orientation in synthetic vesicles." (1996) Biochemistry 35: 11895-11900.
- Efiok, B.J.S. and D.A. WEBSTER (1992) "Sodium-coupled ATP synthesis in the bacterium, Vitreoscilla." Archives of Biochemistry and Biophysics 292: 102-106.
- Dikshit, K.L., and WEBSTER, D.A.(1988) "Cloning, characterization and expression of the bacterial globin gene from Vitreoscilla in Escherichia coli." Gene 70: 377-386.