Jean-Francois Pombert, Ph.D.
Research & Accomplishments
My research revolves mostly around comparative genomics, with an emphasis on finding the elements that distinguish obligate pathogens from their free-living relatives. I am particularly interested by key protists that could help us better understand the evolution of pathogenicity and by microbiomes and their associated diseases. I am also interested by unknown or poorly understood organisms and work with species widely dispersed across the Tree of Life.
- Comparative genomics, Computational biology/bioinformatics, High-throughput DNA sequencing
- Oral microbiome, Green algal genomics, Pathogen genomics
- IIT College of Science Junior Research Excellence Award (2015)
- FQRNT/Génome Québec Louis-Berlinguet Postdoctoral Fellowship (2008-2010)
- Best Teacher, Department of Biochemistry and Microbiology, Universite Laval (2007)
- CREFSIP Doctoral Scholarship (2001-2002)
- 2016 del Campo, J, Pombert JF, Šlapeta J, Larkum A, Keeling PJ. The ‘other’ coral symbiont: Ostreobium diversity and distribution. ISME J. 2016 Jul 15. [Epub ahead of print]
- 2016 Strassert JFH, Tikhonenkov DV, Pombert JF, Kolisko M, Tai V, Mylnikov AP and Keeling PJ. Moramonas marocensis gen. nov., sp. nov.: a jakobid flagellate isolated from desert soil with a bacteria-like, but bloated mitochondrial genome. Open Biol. 6:150239.
- 2016 Butler RR 3rd, Wang J, Stark BC, and Pombert JF. Complete genome sequences of two interactive moderate thermophiles: Paenibacillus napthalenovorans 32O-Y and Paenibacillus sp. 32O-W. Genome Announc. 4(1):e01717-15.
- 2016 Schill KM, Wang Y, Butler RR 3rd, Pombert JF, Reddy N, Skinner GE, and Larkin JW. Comparative analysis of Clostridium sporogenes PA3679 isolates obtained from different sources using pulsed-field gel electrophoresis (PFGE) and high-throughput sequencing. Appl Environ Microbiol. 82(1):384-393.
- 2015 Pombert JF, Haag KL, Beidas S, Ebert D and Keeling PJ. The Ordospora colligata genome; evolution of extreme reduction in microsporidia and host-to-parasite horizontal gene transfer. mBio. 6(1):e02400-14.
- 2014 Pombert JF, Blouin NA, Lane C, Boucias D and Keeling PJ. A lack of parasitic reduction in the obligate parasitic green alga Helicosporidium. PLoS Genetics. 10(5): e1004355.
- 2014 Sun Y and Pombert JF. Helicosporidia: A genomic snapshot of an early transition to parasitism. Acta Soc Bot Pol. 83(4):377–385.
- 2014 Haag KL, James TY, Pombert JF, Larsson R, Schaer TMM, Refardt D and Ebert D. Evolution of a morphological novelty occurred before genome compaction in a lineage of extreme parasites. PNAS. 111(43): 15480-15485.
- 2014 Peyretaillade E, Boucher D, Parisot N, Gasc C, Butler R, Pombert JF, Lerat E and Peyret P. Exploiting the architecture and the features of the microsporidian genomes to investigate diversity and impact of these parasites on ecosystems. Heredity. September 3rd, Advanced access.
- American Association for the Advancement of Science (AAAS)
- American Society for Microbiologists (ASM)
- International Association for Dental Research (IADR), AADR division
- International Society for Computational Biology (ISCB)
- Society for Molecular Biology and Evolution (SMBE)