Advising PIN (required for registration each semester)
Each academic unit issues the Advising PIN required for registration in the first semester of student enrollment at Illinois Tech.
For graduate students in full-time programs:
- New entering graduate students receive their PIN number from the Graduate Director, who serves as their initial academic advisor.
- For continuing semesters, if not on probation, students can find their Advising PIN number in their MyIIT account. The Advising PIN is typically found under the my.iit.edu Welcome tab as shown in the following IIT Personal ID Numbers portal widget example.
Figure 1. IIT Personal ID Numbers Portal Widget Example
Graduate Academic Advising
Graduate students are required to complete a mandatory advising session with the graduate academic (or co-terminal) adviser. The GP Graduate (Program) Advising Hold becomes active before the next semester of registration opens for:
- Co-terminal students in the first semester of graduate co-terminal enrollment
- Traditional masters students at 9 earned or enrolled credits
- Doctoral students at 18 earned or enrolled credits
- The hold prevents registration before the following semester until lifted by the adviser
- The mandatory advising session is required for the student to clear the registration hold
One-on-one advising sessions can be arranged by email with the student’s advisor based on the student’s need. If a student enters a research program in a faculty member’s lab in the department, this research faculty member becomes the student’s primary advisor (while the Graduate Director remains as secondary advisor).
Students in part-time professional programs have the Program Director as their advisor.
- Co-Terminal Program Advising
- Interdisciplinary Program Advising
- International Partner Research Project (INIP)
- Program Requirements/Student Progress— Graduate DegreeWorks
- eForms Use
- Updating Program Options
- New Admission Required
- International Advising
- Financial Aid Advising
- English language deficiencies, assessment, courses and waivers
- Academic Affairs (Graduate): https://web.iit.edu/gaa
- Academic Resources: https://web.iit.edu/arc
- Admission (Graduate): https://admissions.iit.edu/graduate
- Career Services: https://web.iit.edu/career-services
- Digital Learning (Distance/Online Learning): https://online.iit.edu/
- Disability Resources: https://web.iit.edu/cdr
- English Language Services: https://appliedtech.iit.edu/english-language-services<
- Financial Aid: https://web.iit.edu/financial-aid
- Graduate Admissions: https://admissions.iit.edu/graduate/
- Health and Wellness: https://web.iit.edu/shwc
- Idea Shop and IPros: https://web.iit.edu/academic-affairs/idea-shop-and-ipro
- International Center: https://web.iit.edu/international-center
- Registrar: https://web.iit.edu/registrar/registration
- Student Accounting: https://web.iit.edu/student-accounting/