ChemDraw, ChrystalMaker Software Now Available
The Department of Chemistry has two new software packages available for interested students and faculty.
ChemDraw software is available to all interested students and faculty. To download a prepaid software package using your Illinois Tech email address, please follow this link:
ChrystalMaker is available to a limited number of faculty and students. To request a license to download CrystalMaker contact department chair Yuanbing Mao at firstname.lastname@example.org .
Ph.D. Qualifying Examinations
The Ph.D. qualifying exam is an oral examination based on a recent research paper selected by an exam committee. It will be administered in the fall and spring semesters, generally early November and April. Students may take the examination two times and must pass before the end of their fourth semester. It is recommended that the student take the examination in their second and (if necessary) their third semester. The students are expected to demonstrate their understanding of the research paper, fundamental knowledge of the selected subject matter, and critical thinking and analysis skills to the committee of four faculty members during the oral exam. Continue reading »
Department of Chemistry Course Assessment
- All Department of Chemistry courses are expected to have a student assessment and faculty assessment at the end of the semester. The forms below are templates which can be used to complete this assessment for the department.
- Embedded Assessment- Spreadsheet used for assessment of course objectives by faculty.
- Student Assessment Summary- Spreadsheet used for summarizing results of end-of-year student assessment (handed out by department administration).
Chemistry Laboratory Safety Forms
- Chemistry 124 - Principles of Chemistry I
- Chemistry 125 - Principles of Chemistry II
- Chemistry 237 - Organic Chemistry I
- Chemistry 247 - Analytical Chemistry
- Chemistry 344 - Physical Chemistry II