Advising PIN (required for registration each semester)
Each academic unit issues the Advising PIN required for registration in the first semester of student enrollment at Illinois Tech.
For graduate students in full-time programs:
During the first semester of enrollment:
- The Advising PIN (PIN) is issued by the academic unit
- New students can request a PIN after they have been accepted to the department
- The PIN will be sent to the student via e-mail.
- Norman Lederman can help students if a problem occurs with obtaining the PIN. He can be reached at email@example.com or at 312-567-3658.
Continuing semesters of enrollment:
- For continuing semesters, if not on probation, students can find their Advising PIN number in their MyIIT account. The Advising PIN is typically found under the my.iit.edu Welcome tab as shown in the following IIT Personal ID Numbers portal widget example.
Figure 1. IIT Personal ID Numbers Portal Widget Example
Graduate Academic Advising
Graduate students are required to complete a mandatory advising session with the graduate academic (or co-terminal) adviser. The GP Graduate (Program) Advising Hold becomes active before the next semester of registration opens for:
- Co-terminal students in the first semester of graduate co-terminal enrollment *
- Traditional masters students at 9 earned or enrolled credits
- Doctoral students at 18 earned or enrolled credits
- The hold prevents registration before the following semester until lifted by the adviser
- The mandatory advising session is required for the student to clear the registration hold
MSED (and each faculty adviser) arrange individual advising times for all students by use of direct phone conversations or e-mail. Advising appointments can be made one or more weeks in advance. If a student is having difficulty getting an advising appointment, he/she can contact Norman Lederman at firstname.lastname@example.org
Students can request a change of advisor when an adviser is not currently assigned or available (e.g., due to sabbatical) by contacting Norman Lederman at email@example.com and the newly desired advisor.
*MSED does not offer co-terminal degrees.
- Co-Terminal Program Advising
- Interdisciplinary Program Advising
- International Partner Research Project (INIP)
- Program Requirements/Student Progress— Graduate DegreeWorks
- eForms Use
- Updating Program Options
- New Admission Required
- International Advising
- Financial Aid Advising
- English language deficiencies, assessment, courses and waivers
- Academic Affairs (Graduate): https://web.iit.edu/gaa
- Academic Resources: https://web.iit.edu/arc
- Admission (Graduate): https://admissions.iit.edu/graduate
- Career Services: https://web.iit.edu/career-services
- Digital Learning (Distance/Online Learning): https://online.iit.edu/
- Disability Resources: https://web.iit.edu/cdr
- English Language Services: https://appliedtech.iit.edu/english-language-services<
- Financial Aid: https://web.iit.edu/financial-aid
- Graduate Admissions: https://admissions.iit.edu/graduate/
- Health and Wellness: https://web.iit.edu/shwc
- Idea Shop and IPros: https://web.iit.edu/academic-affairs/idea-shop-and-ipro
- International Center: https://web.iit.edu/international-center
- Registrar: https://web.iit.edu/registrar/registration
- Student Accounting: https://web.iit.edu/student-accounting/