The Department of Applied Mathematics hosted the workshop “Mathematical Modeling and Computational Approaches in Physical and Biological Sciences” on November 21. Although it was two days before Thanksgiving, the workshop welcomed researchers from New Jersey Institute of Technology, Penn State University, Technion Israel Institute of Technology, Nihon University of Tokyo, and nearby institutions including Rush University Medical Center. The workshop also attracted students from the Department of Electrical Engineering at Illinois Tech, as well as students from the applied math department.
Applied mathematics department chair and workshop host Chun Liu hoped that the workshop would stimulate novel ideas on multiscale modeling and computation by bringing mathematicians, physicists, biologists, and computer scientists together. At the same time, he also hoped to share recent advances in modeling and numerical techniques with Illinois Tech students.
To learn more about research in the Department of Applied Mathematics, visit the website.
- Maggie Cheng, associate professor of data analytics, Martin Tuchman School of Management, NJIT
- Jia He, graduate student, Business and Information Systems, NJIT
- Gavish Nir, assistant professor of mathematics, Technion, Israel
- Simo Wu, graduate assistant, Mathematics, Penn State
- Pei Liu, postdoctoral Researcher, Mathematics, Penn State
- Andrew Belmonte, professor of mathematics and materials science and engineering, Penn State
- Francesco De Anna, Chowla Research Assistant professor, Department of Mathematics, Penn State
- Bob Eisenberg, the Francis N. and Catherine O. Bard Professor of Physiology, Emeritus, and professor, Department of Physiology and Biophysics, Rush Medical College
- Chun Liu, chair and professor, Department of Applied Mathematics, Illinois Tech
- Xiaofan Li, vice dean of the College of Science, professor of applied mathematics, Illinois Tech
- Jeffery Duan, professor of applied mathematics, Illinois Tech
- Shuwang Li, associate professor of applied mathematics, Illinois Tech
- Mizuno Masashi, associate professor, Department of Mathematics, Nihon University, Tokyo
- David Minh, assistant professor of chemistry, Illinois Tech