Ali K. Oskouie, Ph.D.
Research & Accomplishments
Dr, Oskouie has taught 14 different graduate level courses at IIT for the past 12 years in the Departments of Chemical and Biological Engineering; Civil, Architectural and Environmental Engineering; Environmental Management, Stuart Graduate School of Business; and Biological, Chemical and Physical Sciences. Dr. Oskouie has served as a consultant for R&D division of laser –based particle size analyzer manufacturer in Massachusetts, has conducted postdoctoral work on fluid dynamics on characterization of air and water pollutants, and has established particle technology laboratory at IIT’s Department of Chemical Engineering. He has also developed an educational and research partnership with Chicago Department of Water Management. He serves as a full time Research Scientist at the Research Division of Metropolitan Water Reclamation District of Greater Chicago which includes 7 treatment plants in the Chicago area. He conducts full scale, and laboratory testing as well as modeling for wastewater systems at the MWRDGC. Some of his areas of research at IIT and at the MWRDGC are as follows:
• Biological, Physical and Chemical Treatment of Wastewater
• Modeling Gaseous Emissions from Wastewater Treatment Processes
• Renewable Energy
• Odors and Corrosion in Large Wastewater Interceptors
• Parametrization for Modeling Engineering Systems
• Aerosol Sampling, Measurement and Control
• Hydrological Processes and Hydraulic Systems Analysis
• Modeling Supersonic Flow Field for Characterization of Fine Particles
• Characterization of Surfactants using Innovative on-Line Techniques
• Modeling Dry Deposition of Atmospheric Pollutants
• Computational Fluid Dynamics
- Advanced Statistical Methods for Environmental, Chemical and Biological Sciences
- Mathematical Modeling and Optimization of Complex Environmental Systems
- Modeling and Control of Air Pollutants and Odors Emissions
- Biological Treatment of Municipal and Industrial Wastewater
- Nanotechnology (laser-based fine particle characterizatrion)
- Design of Air and Water Pollution Control Systems
- Water Resources and Hydraulics, Fluid Mechanics, Stormwater Management
- Energy Management for Wastewater Treatment Plants
- Aerosol Characterization and Mechanics
- Experimental and Mathematical Modeling of Aerodynamic and Hydrodynamics as Applied to Environmental Systems
- Energy Management for Treatment Plants
- Hydraulics and Hydrological Modeling
- Characterization of Particles for Biomedical Applications
- New Polymer Development for Removal of Taste and Odor Causing Organic Compounds from Lake Michigan
- Development of TeleAroma Drive for Web-Based Dissemination of Odors
- Innovative Methods for Surfractant and Polymer Characterization
- Wastewater Disinfection and Deodorizations
- Greenhouse Gas Emissions from Wastewater Plants
- Advanced Computational Modeling for Two-Phase Flow Systems
Who's Who in Science and Engineering; Who's Who in America, and Who's Who in the World for Recognition of Outstanding Achievements in Scince and Engineering
- Apparatus for Generating Aroma Upon Electrical Signal, US Patents #6004516 and #6548025, published in Washinton Post, Science Section, November 22, 1999
- Co-Author with K.E. Noll - Solutions Manual for "Fundamentals of Air Quality Systems: Design of Air Pollution Control Devices." American Academy of Environmental Engineers.
Oskouie A., Lordi D., Granato T., Kollias L. Plant Specific Correlations to Predict the Total VOC Emissions from Wastewater Treatment Plants, Atmospheric Environment, 42 (2008), 4530-4539.
Rashmawi K., Oskouie A., Noll. K. E. Development of a Copolymer for Removal of Taste-and-Odor causing Compounds from Lake Michigan Water.ASCE, J. of Environmental Engineering, 134 (7) July 1, 2008.
Oskouie, A., Lordi, D. T., Sawyer, B., Lanyon, R. Comment on “ Locating and Quantifying PCB Sources in Chicago: Receptor Modeling and Field Sampling” Environ. Sci Technol, 37 (24): 5837 (2003).
Lestari, P., Oskouie, A., Noll K. E. Size Distribution and Dry Deposition of Particulate Mass, Sulfate and Nitrate in an Urban Area," Atmospheric Environment, 37 (2003), 2507-2516.
Oskouie, A., Noll, K. E., Wang H-C. "Minimizing the Effect of Density in Determination of Particle Aerodynamic Diameter Using a Time of Flight (TOF) Instrument," J. Aerosol Science, 34: 501-506 (2002).
Oskouie A., Noll K.E., Wang H-C. Determination of Particle Diameter and Lumped Density and Shape Factor Using a Three-Beam Time-of-Fight (TOF) Instrument, J. Aerosol Sci. 33(8), 17-30 (2002).
Oskouie A., et al.: Dependency of the Highest occupied Molecular Orbital (HOMO) Electron Density on the Freundlich Exponent. Carbon, 40(8): 1199-1202 (2002).
Noll K. E., Jackson M., Oskouie A. Development of Atmospheric particle Dry Deposition Model. Aerosol Sci. and Technol, 35: 627-636 (2001).
Mura Y., Chang H. T., Oskouie A., Noll K.E. Dependency of the Highest Occupied Molecular Orbital (HOMO) Electron density on Freundlich Exponent. Refereed proceeding on Adsorption Science and Technology, Australia, May 2000.
Rasuli P., Rasouli F, Oskouie A., Morrish W. An Expert System for the Diagnosis of Brain lesions based on their features Depicted on MR and CT, PC AI, November-December, 1999.
Kucuk S., Oskouie A., Cinar A. Particle trajectory in riser using finite element method (Presented at AICHE bioengineering division, November1999).
Kucuk S., Oskouie A., Cinar, A., Numerical study on solid-liquid flow in a riser, (Presented at AICHE bio-engineering division, November 1999)
Oskouie A., Wang H-C., Noll K. E., Mavliev R. Calculated calibration curves for particle size determination based on time-of-flight, J. Aerosol Sci. and Technol. 29:433-441 (1998)
Oskouie, A., Rasouli, P. Gallegos, M., Aderangi, N. Evaluation of embolization particles using on-line light scattering particle size analyzer in normal saline and non-ionic contrast medium solution, (Presented at the 4th Annual AIChE, Chicago Section, Northwestern University, (First Place Winner) Evanston, Illinois (1998).
Oskouie A., Wang H-C. Noll K. E. On the drag coefficient for calculating the calibration curves for API Aerosizer. (Presented at the 15th Annual Meeting of American Association for Aerosol Research (AAAR) in Orlando-Florida, 1996).
Oskouie A., Wang H-C., Noll K.E. Theoretical study on simultaneous determination of particle size, density and shape factor using time-of-flight sizers. (Presented at the 14th Annual Meeting of American Association for Aerosol Research (AAAR) in Pittsburgh,1995).
- Co-editor of fluid particle interactions symposiums (American Institute of Chemical Engineers, AIChE, 1999
- Peer Review Board Member, Environmental Science and Technology, 2003-present
- Peer Review Board Member, ASCE, J, of Environmental Engineering, 2003-present
- Peer Review Board Member, Journal of Atmospheric Envrionment, 2004-present
- Peer Review Board Member, Journal of Air & Waste Management Association, 2004
- Peer Review Board Member, Journal of Aerosol Science and Technology, 2005-present
- Peer Review Board Member, Session Chair of AIChE World Congress on Numerical Simulation of Fluid/Particle Flow Systems, 2006
- Peer Review Board Member, Energy Exploratory Team Member of Water Environment Research Foundation (WERF) to develop RFPs for Water and Wastewater Industry, 2006-present
- Water Environmental Federation (WEF), 2001-present
- National Association for Clean Water Agencies (NACWA, 2006-present
- American Society for Civil Engineers (ASCE), 1990-2001
- Lake Michigan Air and Waste Management Association, 2005-present