Close Menu

Master of Health Physics Specialization in Radiochemistry Frequently Asked Questions

1. What are the prerequisites for admission to the program?
The prerequisites include two semesters each of calculus, calculus-based physics, and chemistry. We also recommend one semester each of differential equations, modern physics, and biology.

2. What mathematical skills are important in the program?
Algebra, including manipulation of multiple variables; calculus, including derivatives, integrals, simple differential equations, and Taylor expansions. 

3. What are the requirements to earn the Master of Health Physics with Specialization in Radiochemistry?
You must complete a minimum of 32 credit hours from the list of approved courses while maintaining a minimum grade point average of 3.0/4.0 ("B" average). You are also required to pass a comprehensive exam. If you have a 3.5 GPA or higher in the core science courses the comprehensive exam requirement will be waived.

4. Can I take all of the courses online?
No, two of the fourteen courses are laboratory courses, both of which are required to earn the degree. Instrumentation for Health Physics (PHYS 550) is taught on Illinois Tech’s main camps in Chicago, and Radiochemistry Laboratory (PHYS 581) is taught at MURR in Columbia, Missouri.

5. When can I start?
If the prerequisites have been met, you may begin your graduate studies in fall, spring, or summer semesters.

6. How long does the program take?
Part-time students can generally finish the program in 2 to 2 1/2 years.

7. How many courses should I take in a semester?
The part-time program is designed for students to take a maximum of two courses per semester. On occasion, students may take three courses a semester when available with prior approval from their advisor.

8. May I start off as a Master of Health Physics student and transfer into the Master of Health Physics with a Specialization in Radiochemistry track?
Yes, it may be possible to transfer into the radiochemistry track. You must first consult with your academic advisor to receive permission to do so. 

9. Where can I find additional information about IIT's policies and procedures?
▸  Information for current graduate students can be found on the Office of Graduate Academic Affairs website.
▸  Information for applicants can be found on the Office of Graduate Admission website.
▸  Inquiries about online course access can be found on the Office of Digital Learning website.
▸  For course descriptions, see the Graduate Bulletin.
▸  For a student ID card, contact Access, Card, and Parking Services at 312.567.8968